You will require 12 oz of currants, 12 ozs of golden raisins, 8 oz of raisins, 8 oz of brown sugar, 8 oz of butter or margarine, 10oz of flour, 4 oz of mixed peel, glace cherries, ½ lemon, orange, 1-1/2 t of mixed spice, 1 T of black treacle, 5 eggs, milk and pinch of salt.
Method of Preparation
- Get one bowl and add butter, sugar, mixed spice, salt, treacle and eggs. Mix them well.
- Now, add fruit followed flour and stir them thoroughly.
- Mix them well.
- Get a metal pan having loose bottom. Using wax paper, line all the sides and bottom of the metal pan.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour at 325f. After 1 hour, turn down the temperature to 300f and cook for about 2 hours.
- Now, insert a sleek instrument to check whether cake is cooked or not. If the instrument comes out clean then cake is cooked.
- Place the cake upside down in an airtight pan and leave it for approximately 2 weeks.
- Create a small hole up to the bottom of cake and pour brandy or sherry. This process must be repeated thrice in the two days time.
- Cake must be placed in an airtight tin.
- Later, decorate the Christmas cake with royal icing.